I recently had black pepper popcorn at a an Essential Oils Farm Day celebration I attended. And it was so yummy! Of course it was made in an
old school movie style popcorn popper, but you can do this at home with just a little patience.
I LOVE black pepper, so just that little bit of spice and the kernels nicely soaked in coconut oil is the best!!! I was searching for a method of cooking (without burning) popcorn on the stove, and found this method from Simply Recipes and Elise was gracious enough to let me interpret her directions.
The Best Homemade Black Pepper Essential Oil Popcorn
1/4 tsp Black pepper essential oil – Food Grade
1/2 cup Coconut oil – organic and unrefined
1 cup White popcorn kernels – I like the white better then yellow, I think it’s crunchier.
1 T. Redmonds Real Salt – and yes, only the best salt, it makes such a difference!
1. Heat the coconut oil in a large kettle on medium heat.
2. Add the Black Pepper Essential Oil to the coconut oil.
3. Place only 3 popcorn kernels in the bottom of the pan, and cover.
4. Wait for these kernels to pop, this will help you to know the oil is the heated to the correct temp.
5. Once the 3 kernels pop, add the rest of the kernels to the bottom in an even layer, you can add more or less popcorn based on your pot size.
6. Cover the pan and turn off the heat.
7. Wait 30 seconds (this will bring the oil and kernels to an equal temp prepping them to pop)
8. Turn the heat back on to medium.
9. Wait for the popcorn to start popping. Once it does begin to shake the pan by sliding it over the burner side to side, to prevent it from burning. I recommend wearing a hot pad on your hand.
10. Once the popping slows down to several seconds in between pops, remove from the heat and pour into a bowl.
11. Add salt to your taste. I find that with the coconut oil it doesn’t need butter! Yum, Yum, Yum!!!
My son and I love this recipe so much, we can not confirm, nor deny that we might sneak it into the movie theater. Shhhhhh…